The first winter Olympic Games in Chamonix in 1924 sparked a passion for winter sports.
Skiing exploded in France in the 1930s when the first ski resorts were created.
Rodolphe TESSA built a mountain refuge on Alpe de Mont de Lans
The MOUNIER family opened an inn on Alpe de Venosc. The first skiers reached the plateau on foot with their equipment carried on the backs of mules.
The GRAVIER and CHALVIN families built the Hôtel des Glaciers.
The first road link was built between Mont de Lans village and the Alpe, with completion taking place the day before World War II was declared. The pioneers felt that these mountains had everything required to be the perfect tourist destination: the landscape’s natural beauty, the configuration of the plateau, and an exceptional ski area.
Jean KEMLER, an engineer from Lyon who was holidaying in the area, decided to turn a dream into a reality and install the first ski lift on the slopes of Les Cloûtets. He was unsuccessful, and the war put a temporary halt to development in the area.
Jean de ROODENBECKE, a priest from Belgium, built the Foyer St Benoît with local workers from the plateau.
The first button lift went into operation around Christmas 1946 on the Pied Moûtet ski area. That winter, on the 20th of December, Louis CARREL opened the first ski school: La Meije ski club, with Auguste CARREL, Hippolyte MOUNIER, Germaine CARREL, Louis GUIGNARD and Joseph MARTIN. The latter transformed his family alpine pasture chalet into a café-delicatessen-restaurant in the summer of 1947. Father de RODENBECKE went on to run the events committee.
The GRAVIER brothers and Edouard CHALVIN installed La Morte button lift.
The GRAVIER brothers, Edouard CHALVIN and Joseph Martin each acquired one third shares in the Pied Moûtet button lift, which kickstarted the whole ski lift adventure. More and more shops began to pop up.